The City of Redding Solid Waste Utility began the fully automated single-stream curbside recycling program
in early 2001. "Single stream" means that all types of
recyclables can go in one cart. You no longer have to separate
the cardboard, paper, glass and plastic into separate bins. This type
of system is much more convenient for users and allows us to collect
your recyclables much quicker. Our goal is to bring Redding
and businesses a convenient, user-friendly recycling system.
We've tried to make it as simple as possible. Our carts come in 64-gallon or 96-gallon sizes,
have wheels, lids, and handles to make it easy to roll them to the
street for collection. The program is fully automated, which means the
doesn't get out of the truck to empty the cart. This makes it
possible to collect many more carts than ever before and cuts down on
driver injuries. Curbside recycling is a free program.
All we ask is that you use your carts properly and avoid contamination
with non-recyclable items. For a more detailed list of common contaminants, click here. Please rinse out containers to remove food residue before recycling. Below is a list of items that SHOULD go in your blue recycling cart:
- Plastic Bottles & Jugs: #1-#2. Most beverage containers and some food containers. Example: Soda pop bottles, water bottles, milk jugs, laundry detergent, shampoo and soap bottles. Note: We accept bottles and jugs only - not all plastics #1-#2 can be recycled here.
Hint: the rule of thumb is that the mouth of the jar should be narrower
than the base. If you're not sure, just call us at 224-6201. Remember:
if it doesn't meet this description, we can't take it in your curbside
- Glass Bottles & Jars: Soda, beer, wine, juice, pickles, relish, etc.
- Aluminum: Aluminum cans.
- Tin Cans: Soup, tuna fish, canned foods, cat/dog food cans.
- Newspaper & Paper Egg Cartons
- Magazines, Catalogs, Junk Mail & Envelopes
- Pasteboard Boxes: Cereal, Kleenex, cake mix, crackers, shoe boxes, etc. Be sure to remove all plastic liners or packing materials.
- Cardboard Boxes: Boxes should be flattened and fit loosely in the cart.
- Paper Rolls & Six Pack Carriers: toilet paper rolls, paper towel & wrapping paper rolls. No six pack carriers with metallic printing or coating.
- Office Paper, Computer Paper, Manila Folders.
- Wrapping Paper & Cards: No metallic printing or lining.
These items are NOT Recyclable in your blue cart:
Please remove lids from plastic and glass containers before placing them in your blue cart. Labels are OK.